Tuesday, February 12, 2013

GAFE Calendars - If you have a website already...

Continued from the last GAFE post, I forgot to mention how to post your calendar to your website. Most have their own GAFE or just Google websites for their classrooms. It took me a while to transition from a Weebly website to a GAFE website, but I've accepted the change and like how everything is set together. If you'd like an example of a website, check out my GAFE website:
Ms. Schleupner's English 9 Website

If you've already set up your calendar (following the steps in my last post about GAFE), you now need to know how to post your calendar to your website for easy access of students and parents. My students never have an excuse as to not knowing what their homework is because I post it daily on this site with minimal effort.

Here's what you do to add your calendar to your website:
1. Make sure you're logged in on the Public side of https://hcpss.me
2. Click on "Sites" at the top of the page in the black toolbar
3. Select which website where you'd like to add the calendar
4. Click on the page where you'd like to add the calendar (i.e. you have separate pages on your website for different things - you may not (check out my website for an example))
5. Click on the PENCIL icon at the top for "Edit Page"
6. Click in the box where you'd like to add the calendar
7. Click "Insert"
8. Click on "Calendar"
9. Select the box for the calendar you'd like to add (it should pop up a list of all calendars you've created)
10. Click "Select"
11. Change your view (if you don't want it on month) and Title (at the bottom)
12. IF YOU WANT TO DISPLAY MORE THAN ONE CALENDAR's events on the same calendar, click "Display another calendar" and repeat steps 9-10
13. Click "Save"
14. Click the BLUE BOX "Save" at the top of the page

Here's how to add assignments to your calendar:

1. Make sure you are logged in on the Public side (you should pop up to your personal calendar)
    2. Click on the date you want to post the assignment on (either assignment date or assignment due date, whichever you prefer)
    3.     In the pop up box, type in what you’d like the assignment to be called
     4.     In the pop up box, select which calendar where you’d like to post the assignment
(For example, if it is an assignment for English 9, I’d choose the English 9 calendar – if you want the same assignment to go on to more than one calendar, you just have to follow these directions twice)
     5.     Click “Create Event”



Here is also a screencast I made demonstrating how to complete this, step by step:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Zcuij9RpH-YzFXMHUxcDZUQ0E/edit?pli=1

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, it was really interesting to see your Gafe website in class. My school has been using Gafe a lot this year, and as part of the STEM committee, we got the opportunity to explore some of the features. I found website building on Gafe to be a little more difficult than with Weebly. Weebly everything seems more customizable, but I felt more restricted with Gafe. Maybe I need some extra exploring with it because I really liked the way yours turned out.
    I really like the idea of the Google calendar embedded in the site. I've used Google calendars and I've found them very user friendly. Although, I think it's probably more useful for older grades, I think I could see myself using it to communicate upcoming dates of important activities with the parents in my class. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I agree that Weebly is more user friendly when it comes to making a website. I liked that it was just click and drag and you could put things basically wherever you wanted. It took a LONG time for me to play around with the backgrounds and settings to make my site as personalized as I did.I have such OCD that I couldn't just use one of the templates.

    Embedding the google calendar is super easy and provides quick convenience for parents looking for homework assignments. They can see my site AND my calendar on the same site.

    Good luck! If you need any help getting things started on your site, I'd be happy to help! :)

    ReplyDelete